At a Glance
- Potato Type: Multiple
- Prep Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Recipe By: Simply Spuds
Not just for holidays anymore! A quick easy way to enjoy sweet-savory sweet potatoes any day of the week.
- 1 bag (1.5 lbs.) of Side Delights® Steamables Petite Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup maple sugar (or 1/2 cup maple syrup)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (plus additional to taste)
- 2 tsp. kosher salt (plus additional to taste)
- Hot water
- Microwave Side Delights® Steamables in their bag according to directions.
- Use caution when removing the bag from the microwave; package will be HOT!
- Carefully cut the bag open and place the sweet potatoes on a cutting board
- Heat oil and butter in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, sugar (or syrup), salt, and pepper.
- Sauté until onion is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add water a little at a time if the pan becomes dry. Set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes and place in serving bowl (BE CAREFUL! Sweet potatoes will be HOT!); mash to desired consistency.
- Fold-in onion mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Recipe tip: If you’d like to make this dish a little spicier, try adding some red pepper flakes.