At a Glance
- Potato Type: Reds
- Prep Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
A rich cheesy sauce is tossed with red potatoes in this healthy version of au gratin potatoes.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 1/3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until barely tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, cool and slip off skins.
3. Coarsely shred potatoes in a food processor or with the large-holed side of a four-sided grater. Set aside.
4. Combine garlic, onion, flour, salt, mustard, cayenne and black pepper in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add 1/2 cup milk and process until smooth. Scrape into a medium saucepan, add remaining 2 1/2 cups milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
5. Combine potatoes and the cheese mixture in a large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
6. Combine remaining 1/3 cup cheese, breadcrumbs and oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your fingers. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the potato mixture.
7. Cover pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 20 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 292 Fat: 9g Sodium: 665mg Vitamin C: 24.3% Fiber: 4g Protein: 13g Potassium: 808mg