At a Glance
- Potato Type: Reds, Russet
- Prep Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 6
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: Reluctant Entertainer
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
Heat oven to 375°. Bring potatoes and water to cover by 1 inch to boil in large pot over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Heat 1/2-and-1/2, chicken broth, butter, garlic, mustard, and salt in saucepan over medium-low heat until smooth, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
Drain potatoes and transfer to bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle and mix on medium-low speed, slowly adding half-and-half, until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs one at a time for about 1 minute. Add in chives.
Transfer potato mixture to greased 2-quart baking dish and use fork to make peaked design on top. Bake until potatoes rise and begin to brown, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve.