At a Glance
- Potato Type: Purple
- Prep Method: null
- Special Requests: Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Latin / Hispanic
- Yield: 2
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
This colorful salad inspired by salpicón, a favorite dish in Chile, is hearty enough to be a main course any night of the week. Serve it on a bed of mixed greens. We’ve changed the flavors somewhat so the ingredients are easily found here.
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 clove garlic, mashed into a paste
8 ounces sirloin steak, trimmed
3/4 pound small purple potatoes, scrubbed
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 large radishes, sliced
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Mix lime juice, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and garlic in a small bowl to form a paste; rub onto both sides of steak. Refrigerate the steak.
2. Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain, let cool for 10 minutes, then quarter.
3. While the potatoes cool, preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack or pan (see Tip). Grill the steak, turning once, until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°F, about 10 minutes total on the grill or 16 to 20 minutes in a grill pan. Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
4. Whisk vinegar, oil, cumin, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the steak and any accumulated juices, the potatoes, radishes, scallions and cilantro; gently toss to coat.
TIP: Look for purple potatoes in well-stocked markets or substitute small yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds.
To oil the grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don’t use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Toss the steak and potatoes with the dressing and vegetables (Step 4) just before serving.
Calories: 360 Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 660mg Vitamin C: 63% Fiber: 4g Protein: 27g Potassium: 413mg