At a Glance
- Potato Type: Yellow
- Prep Method: Pan Fried
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Yield: 4-5
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: Side Delights A Cut Above
The right way to kick off your weekend. A Mediterranean breakfast standout.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) caraway seeds
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of unsalted, diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1lb.) package A Cut Above® Potatoes Fresh-Cut Diced
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves or cilantro leaves
- Hot pepper sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add shallot, garlic, chili powder, turmeric, and caraway; sauté until shallot is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juices from can and water; simmer until sauce thickens and is reduced to 1 3/4 cups, occasionally stirring for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the 3 remaining teaspoons of oil in a heavy, well-seasoned cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté potatoes until tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, push the potatoes to the edge of the skillet.
- Crack eggs into the center of the skillet and cook until whites are set, and yolks are creamy, about 6 minutes.
- Spoon half of the warm sauce over the eggs and potatoes. (Cover remaining sauce and refrigerate to enjoy later.)
- Sprinkle eggs with feta and parsley. Serve, passing hot sauce separately.
- You can use the leftover sauce to make the recipe again the following day, OR you can serve it over a baked potato or other veggies for another meal.