At a Glance
- Special Requests: Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Yield: 16
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
Make this tasty vegetarian main dish for brunch or a holiday mean. Any cheese will work, but Manchego, Parmesan, Fontina or mozzarella are especially good choices. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or cut into squares and add cold to a salad.
- 2 pounds peeled potatoes, halved
- 3 bell peppers (orange, red and yellow)
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced, coarsely chopped fennel (white bottom part only)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided*
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place potatoes in a steamer basket with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Let cool, then cut into thin slices
3. Cut peppers in half, discard stems and seeds. Place peppers on foil-lined baking sheet and flatten with hand. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and blistered. Wrap peppers up in foil to steam for 10 minutes. Remove skin from peppers and cut into strips. Press between several layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
4. Saute the onion and fennel in olive oil for about 20 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the pesto and cook for several minutes more.
5. Spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate or springform pan with non stick cooking spray and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Cover the bottom with 1/3 of the potatoes, 1/2 the peppers and 1/2 the cheese. Spread the onion mixture evenly over the top and cover with another layer of potatoes and peppers. Cover the top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with olives.
6. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, tenting the top with foil after 30 minutes.
7. Let cool to room temperature and cut into thin wedges. Makes 16 wedges.
Calories: 141 Fat: 6g Sodium: 173mg Vitamin C: 55% Fiber: 2g Protein: 8g Potassium: 409mg