At a Glance
- Yield: 24
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 8 pounds Beef short ribs
- Salt and black pepper As needed
- 1 pound (2 2/3 cups) Diced carrot
- 1 pound (2 2/3 cups) Diced onion
- 1 pound (2 2/3 cups) Diced celery
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 2 quarts Beef or veal stock
- 4 pounds Large russet potatoes
- 2 quarts Clarified butter or vegetable oil (or combination)
- Clarified butter or vegetable oil as needed
- 3 cups Spicy Roasted Pepper Sofrito (see recipe on last page)
Preparation1. In rondo or deep sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. Remove ribs, pour off excess fat and add carrot, onion, celery and cumin to pan. Cook about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are slightly soft. Return ribs to pan and add stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook in 300 degree oven about 2 1/2 hours, or until meat separates easily from bones. Remove ribs and cool. Remove bones and cartilage from ribs and shred meat with a fork. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Chill before using. Yield: about 5 cups.
2. Peel potatoes and cut lengthwise into 1/16-inch-thick slices on a mandoline or Japanese slicer. Heat butter or oil to 250F. In batches, blanch potato slices for about 1 minute, or until transparent and flexible. Lay blanched slices in single layers on parchment-lined sheet pans. Yield: about 180 slices
3. Lay 3 slices of potato out on work surface with the long edges slightly overlapping. Spread about 1 1/2 tablespoons of shredded meat along bottom edge of potatoes. Roll up tightly to form a 5-inch long, 1 1/2-inch diameter roll. Repeat to make 48 taquitos. Cover and chill before using.
4. For each serving, to order: In a small sauté pan, heat about 1/4-inch butter or oil. Add 2 taquitos and brown on all sides. Serve with 2 tablespoons of Spicy RoastedPepper Sofrito.