At a Glance
- Yield: 24
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
Red Onion Garnish:
- 1/2 cup Lime juice
- 1 1/2 cup Aji amarillo*
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 pound Red onions, very thinly sliced**
- Salt as needed
- 1 pound 4 ounces Beef top round steak, well-trimmed
- 1 small Onion, quartered
- 2 Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 1/2 quarts Water
- Vegetable oil
- 12 ounces Diced onion
- 1 teaspoon Chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons All-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon Paprika
- Cayenne pepper As Needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chopped green olives
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Raisins
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- 8 pounds White potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 5 –8 ounces All-purpose flour
- Salt as needed
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable oil
** A mandoline can be used to slice onions very thinly.
Preparation1. Whisk together lime juice, aji amarillo and sugar. Pour over onions; season to taste with salt. Chill overnight; drain before using. Yield: 3 cups
2. In stockpot, combine beef, quartered onion, tomatoes, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, about 2 hours. Cool; chop beef into 1/8-inch dice. Strain cooking liquid; reserve 3/4 cup.
3. In sauté pan, heat oil until hot. Sauté diced onion and garlic until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oregano, paprika and cayenne pepper. Add beef, reserved cooking liquid, olives and raisins; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover; chill before using. Yield: 3 cups
4. Place potatoes in pot; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain; pass hot potatoes through ricer. Stir in 1 cup flour until blended; season to taste with salt. Cover; chill before using.
5. Flour hands well. Place 1/2 cup potato mixture in the palm of your hand; make an indentation for the filling. Add 2 tablespoons Picadillo; wrap potato around filling to enclose completely. Shape into flat oval. Place on well-floured sheet pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form a total of 24 Papas Rellenas. Cover; chill before using.
6. For each serving, to order: In sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; cook 1 Papa Rellena until browned on both sides and heated through. Serve with 2 tablespoons Red Onion Garnish.