At a Glance
- Prep Method: null
- Yield: 24
- Ready Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 pound, 8 ounces Carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound Celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound 8, ounces Onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 pound White or brown mushrooms, quartered
- 6 pounds Ground beef
- 1/2 cup Tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Beef or chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper As needed
- 8 pounds Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1- inch cubes
- 1 1/3 cups Milk, warmed
- 6 ounces Unsalted butter
- 2.5 ounces Parsley, chopped
1. In large sauté pan, heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onions; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove vegetables from pan.
2. In same pan, heat remaining 1/2 cup of oil. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove mushrooms from pan.
3. Add ground beef to pan; cook about 10 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally to break up beef. Pour off drippings.
4. Return vegetables to pan; stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and flour. Add stock; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In large pot, cook potatoes, covered, in 2 inches boiling water about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes, return to pot, add milk, butter and 1 tablespoon salt. Mash with potato masher or electric hand mixer until light and fluffy, adding more warm milk if necessary. Stir in parsley.
6. Divide meat mixture equally among 24 (1-cup) ramekins. Spread about 3/4 cup potatoes over meat in each ramekin to cover completely. Cool; cover and refrigerate.
7. For each serving, to order: Place 1 Cottage Pie in 350∞F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and potatoes are lightly browned. Serve at once.