At a Glance
- Prep Method: null
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
It is well worth seeking out yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds, for these cheesy mashed potatoes for their rich flavor and appealing color.
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (about 6), scrubbed but not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, preferably extra-sharp
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them into a large bowl; set aside.
3. Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add cottage cheese and process until completely smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the shredded potatoes and mix well. Turn into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Calories: 212 Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 657mg Vitamin C: 52.2% Fiber: 3g Protein: 11g Potassium: 820mg