At a Glance
- Potato Type: Russet
- Prep Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 24
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
- 6 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Half-and-half
- 8 ounces Grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Salt
- 1 pound, 8 ounces All-purpose flour
- 4 pounds Plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 cups Chopped basil
- 24 Eggs, poached
- 48 Bacon strips, cooked
1. To make Potato-Cheddar Gnocchi: Steam potatoes over boiling water, covered, about 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer to large bowl; mash with potato masher. Cool slightly; gently mix in eggs, half-and-half, cheese and salt. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing gently after each addition. If dough is sticky, add a bit more flour.
2. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. On floured surface, roll each piece into a 1-inch–diameter rope; flatten slightly and cut into 24 gnocchi. Transfer gnocchi to sheet pan lined with lightly floured towel; cover with another towel. Refrigerate until needed.
3. To make Oven-Roasted Tomatoes: Quarter tomatoes; cut each quarter in half again. In large bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Spread tomatoes on sheet pan in one layer. Roast in 475F oven about 20 minutes or until soft and slightly browned.
3. For each serving, to order: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add 16 Potato-Cheddar Gnocchi; boil about 5 minutes or until firm and cooked through. With skimmer, transfer gnocchi to mixing bowl; add 8 pieces Oven-Roasted Tomato and 4 teaspoons basil. Toss gently; transfer to shallow soup bowl. Place 1 warm poached egg on top of gnocchi; garnish with 2 strips bacon.