At a Glance
- Potato Type: White, Russet
- Prep Method: Baked
- Special Requests: Kid Friendly
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 12 to 24 Puffs, depending on the size of the pan
Recipe By: Faith Durand from The Kitchn
These Mashed Potato Puffs are not only delicious but also fun to serve. Great as an appetizer for a party or as a festive pass-around side dish for dinner.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (either White or Russet potatoes or reconstituted dehydrated potatoes)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated cheese such as Parmesan or Gruyere, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1/4 cup diced cooked bacon or ham, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sour cream, to serve, optional
Heat the oven to 400°F and lightly grease the cups of a mini-muffin tin. Whisk together the mashed potatoes, eggs, 3/4 cup of the cheese, the chives, and ham. Season, if necessary, with salt and pepper. The seasoning will depend on how seasoned your mashed potatoes were to begin with. Mound a spoonful of the mixture in each muffin cup. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the potato cups are set, browned on top, and hot through. Let cool for about 5 minutes in the pan, then use a spoon or knife to gently release them from the pan. Serve immediately with dollops of sour cream, if desired.
- You can bake these and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat and re-crisp: arrange the puffs on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes (depending on size).
- I assume these also freeze well, but I haven’t experimented with this yet myself. If I froze them, I would thaw overnight in the refrigerator then follow the reheating instructions above.
More Flavoring Ideas for Mashed Potato Puffs
- Loaded Baked Potato: Cheddar cheese, cooked bacon, chopped green onions, served with sour cream and chives
- Curried Potato Puffs: 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste), chopped red onion, chopped jalapeño pepper, served with yogurt and cucumber.
- Goat Cheese & Spinach: Fine chopped spinach, minced garlic, crumbled goat cheese.
- Italian-Inspired: Finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped basil, finely chopped shallots, served with a smear of tomato sauce.
Calories: 82 Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 53mg Sodium: 321mg Vitamin C: 3% Carbohydrates: 6g Protein: 6g Potassium: 164mg