At a Glance
- Yield: 24
- Ready Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
- 15 pounds (120 each) Small yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled
- 3 pounds Butter
- 12 ounces Shallots, chopped
- 12 ounces Garlic cloves, whole
- 3/4 cup Thyme, chopped
- 1/3 cup Salt
- 2 tablespoons Black pepper
- 4 each Nora peppers*
- 1 1/3 cups Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 9 ounces Red bell pepper, chopped
- 9 ounces Onion, chopped
- 2 ounces Garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Sweet pimenton paprika
- 3 tablespoons Hot pimenton paprika
- 3/4 cup Country-style bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 ounces Sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 ounces Hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups Dashi soup stock or water
- 1/3 cup Sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt and pepper As needed
- Cilantro leaves, chopped As needed
Preparation1. To make Fondant Potatoes: In large rondo, combine all ingredients; add enough water to cover potatoes. Bring to boil and cook on high heat, shaking pan occasionally for even cooking, about 30 minutes or until water evaporates. Continue to cook until potatoes are golden brown and tender. Remove potatoes with slotted spoon and keep warm. (Strain butter and reserve for another use.)
2. To make Romesco Sauce: In small bowl, pour boiling water over nora peppers and let sit 15 minutes; stem and seed.
3. In large saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of the oil over medium heat; add nora peppers, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic and paprikas. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour; purée in food processor and pour back into saucepan.
4. In sauté pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat; fry bread cubes, stirring to brown evenly, until golden brown. Add bread cubes and remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper, to pepper mixture; simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
5. Purée in food processor until smooth, adding a little water if necessary to obtain thick but pourable consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered. Bring to room temperature before using.
6. For each serving, to order: Place 5 potatoes on plate; drizzle with 2 tablespoons Romesco Sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
*Note: Nora peppers are small dried Spanish peppers; they can be purchased from Spanish specialty grocers.
Recipe adapted from Chef Felino Samson of Bomboa in Boston, MA