At a Glance
- Potato Type: Gemstone, Reds, Yellow
- Special Requests: Gluten Free, Kid Friendly, Low Fat
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
As seen in popular women’s and cooking magazines!Yukon gold and red smashed potatoes with sweet peppers, cilantro and a hint of chili powder.
- 5 small Yukon gold potatoes and 5 small red potatoes or potato type of your choice (try russets, white or fingerlings)
- 1 pint sweet mini peppers (red, orange and yellow)
8 sprigs cilantro, picked from stems
- 4 tablespoons of fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Salt, chili powder and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place whole potatoes (do not poke) into microwave-safe covered dish.
Microwave on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, cut mini peppers into small 1/4-inch slices. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat to medium. Add peppers and saute until they start to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Remove potatoes from microwave and using a layer of paper towels covering each potato, smash it on a cutting board until 1 3/4-inch thick. Helpful tip: Use the side of a coffee cup or flat cooking utensil to smash the potatoes.
Spray saute pan with cooking spray, heat on high and add smashed potatoes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until potatoes start to brown.
On a plate, place potatoes and layer with sour cream or yogurt (optional), peppers and cilantro. Dust with salt, chili powder and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Calories: 50 Sodium: 350mg Vitamin C: 0.7% Fiber: 1g Protein: 1g Potassium: 293mg