At a Glance
- Potato Type: Yellow
- Prep Method: Boiled
- Yield: 24
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
Causa is one of the most popular dishes along Peru’s coast. Try this Causa recipe and delight your friends and family!
- 6 pounds Yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons Aji Amarillo paste*
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Salt
- 3 pounds, 12 ounces Tuna, water-pack, drained**
- 4 ounces Low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 cups Yellow tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Black olives, pitted and chopped
- 24 each Parsley sprigs
1. In saucepan, cook potatoes in 2 inches simmering water, covered, about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes; press through ricer or food mill.
2. Fold in lime juice, oil, aji amarillo paste and salt.
3. In bowl, mix together tuna and mayonnaise.
4. Place 24 (2-inch high x 3-inch wide) ring molds on plastic wrap-lined sheet pan. Spread 1/4 cup potato mixture in bottom of 1 mold in even layer. Spread 1/4 cup tuna mixture on top of potatoes in even layer; end with 1/4 cup potato mixture.
5. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 24 molds. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours.
6. For each serving, to order: Invert 1 ring mold onto plate; carefully remove mold.
7. Garnish with 2 tablespoons tomatoes, 1 teaspoon olives and 1 parsley sprig.
Recipe created by Chefs Dan and Ticha Krinsky of Tierra Restaurant, Atlanta, GA.
Tip: Peruvian mashed potato salad can also be layered in 2-inch deep hotel pan; scatter tomatoes, olives and chopped parsley evenly over top layer of potatoes.
*Aji Amarillo is a Peruvian hot yellow pepper that can be found puréed in jars or frozen whole. For whole aji amarillo, peel, seed and purée in a blender with a small amount of vegetable oil; use as directed.
**Instead of tuna, use 4 pounds pulled or chopped chicken, diced lobster meat or steamed chopped vegetables such as fennel or spinach.
Calories: 256 Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 32mg Sodium: 652mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 2g Protein: 21g Potassium: 706mg