At a Glance
- Prep Method: Boiled
- Special Requests: Gluten Free
- Cuisine: Latin / Hispanic
- Yield: 2
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
Corn tortillas add great flavor and texture to this Mexican-style beef casserole. If requiring a gluten-free recipe, check the label of the indicated (*) recipe ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free.
- 2 medium russet, white or yellow-flesh potatoes or 3-4 small red potatoes
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 packet (1 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning*
- 4 yellow corn tortillas, cut in half
- 3/4 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese*
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Slice across into 1/4-inch-thick half moons.
In mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, water and taco seasoning, reserving 2 teaspoons taco seasoning. Spread 2 tablespoons tomato mixture in bottom of a 1-quart microwave-safe dish. Cover with 4 tortilla halves.
Crumble beef over tortillas and sprinkle with reserved taco seasoning. Sprinkle half the cheese over beef. Add half the remaining tomato mixture. Spread potatoes on top in a single layer. Cover with remaining tortillas. Spread remaining tomato mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 20 minutes (cooking time may vary depending on your microwave) or until potatoes and beef are done. Let sit for two minutes. Use oven mitts or tongs to remove from microwave. Remove plastic wrap carefully to prevent burns from steam.