At a Glance
- Potato Type: Reds, Yellow
- Prep Method: null
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 8
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: Chef Bill Briw
Note: This salad can be quickly made in small batches with precooked bacon and onions, but it should be served while still warm.
Videos/Recipe created by The Culinary Institute of America as an industry service to the United States Potato Board.
Photography courtesy of Kristen Loken.
- 4 oz. Bacon lardons
- 1 oz. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Whole grain mustard
- 1 cup Chicken stock, reduced by half
- 3 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 2 lb. Red New Potatoes, cooked, halved
- 2/3 cup Dill pickles, diced 1/4 inch
- 4 Tbsp. Dill
- 4 Tbsp. Parsley
- 1/3 cup Pickled onions, halved
- 1/3 cup Yukon Gold Potatoes, cooked, peeled
1. In a medium sauté pan, cook the bacon lardons until golden and just becoming crisp. Pour the bacon fat off and add olive oil to the pan and add the onions and allow them to cook until slightly softened.
2. In the same pan, build a simple warm dressing by adding the stock, mustard, vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the potatoes and toss them in the warm dressing. Next add the pickles, pickled onions, and herbs. Season this with salt and pepper as well and bind any excess dressing with mashed Yukon gold potatoes.