- A medium-sized potato has no fat, no cholesterol and contains only 110 calories!
- Sodium Free – Low sodium diets help to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Vitamin C — Don’t just think of oranges anymore as a great source of Vitamin C! By eating one medium sized potato, you will receive 45% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C — a great antioxidant.
- More Potassium than Bananas! A medium-sized potato contains 18% of the recommended daily value of potassium – essential for maintaining proper muscle function.
- Good Source of Fiber – The 3g of fiber in one medium-sized potato is 8% of the recommended daily value. Diets high in fiber are beneficial for a healthy digestive system and may reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. Consuming adequate fiber also makes you feel fuller, helping to reduce snacking between meals.
- Less Than 10% of the Daily Value of Carbohydrates – A medium-sized potato contains 26g of carbohydrates, only 9% of the recommended daily value. Complex carbohydrates are a great source of energy for the body.
- A Great Antioxidant – Potatoes have one of the highest overall antioxidant activity among vegetables. Antioxidants protect key cell components by neutralizing the damaging effects of “free radicals.” Potatoes also contain glutathione, an antioxidant that may help protect against some cancers. Make potatoes a part of your 5 daily servings of fruits and vegetables!